Man rushed to hospital after he was rescued from car in Oldham

A man was rescued from his car in Oldham on Sunday afternoon.

Two fire crews, police and an air ambulance helicopter rushed to the scene of an accident involving one car at Standedge Road, in Diggle, shortly after 2.30pm.

The road was closed for almost six hours after it was confirmed it had reopened shortly after 8pm.

Pictures show the damaged BMW being removed from the scene.

READ MOREWoman dies in hospital after being hit by car in Ramsbottom

Fire crews were called to Standedge Road at around 2.30pm to reports of an accident involving one car along the stretch of road.

Specialist equipment was needed to rescue the male from the car who was then rushed to hospital.

The damaged car at the scene on Standedge Lane
(Image: Adam Vaughan)

The North West Air Ambulance charity were also at the scene.

His condition is not yet known, and Greater Manchester Police have been contacted for further information.

Shortly after 3.30pm, Transport for Greater Manchester tweeted that there had been a ‘medical emergency’ and encouraged road users to find other routes due to the closure.

Sign up for Oldham news updates direct to your inbox

Keep up to date with the top stories on life in and around Oldham with the new free email newsletter from MyOldham.

The MyOldham newsletter will go out weekly with a selection of our most popular articles, including the latest on the coronavirus pandemic and how Oldham is dealing with lockdown.

Follow this link and select My Oldham News. We have many other newsletters that may interest you as well.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: “At approximately 14:40 today (6 February) two fire engines from Oldham and Mossley fire stations, and a technical response unit from Ashton-under-Lyne were called to reports of a road traffic accident involving one car on Standedge Road in Oldham.

“Firefighters quickly attended and used specialist equipment to rescue one male from the car who was then conveyed to hospital by North West Ambulance Service.

“Crews were in attendance for approximately 90 minutes.”

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what’s on and more by following this link

Manchester Evening News – Oldham