‘I was screaming and begging him to try CPR again – but she was already gone’: Mum relives horror of the night her daughter died on the way to the chippy with her friend

Lily had been safe at home all day and had only ventured out to get some chips for her tea with her friend.

It was not long after she left that her mum got the phone call that would change her life forever.

A month on from the tragic death of Lily Rose Morris, 10, who was hit by a car in Oldham the week before Christmas, her mum has spoken publicly for the first time.

Her lasting memory is seeing her little girl being put in the back of an ambulance after paramedics failed to find a pulse.

READ MOREBalloons in the wind and flickering candles as a community pays tribute to a little girl whose life was snatched away

It had been a usual Saturday night for the family on December 18.

Mel, 32, had been looking after 10-year-old daughter Lily and her friend. They had spent the day playing together.

Mel had given them money to walk to the chippy.

That was the last time she would see her little girl alive.

Lily Rose Morris
(Image: Mel Hudson)

In an interview with the Manchester Evening News , Mel has spoken about the heart-wrenching events which unfolded that evening for the first time.

“I had made Lily her favourite dippy eggs and soldiers and she had her friend come round for the day,” she said.

“It was at around 4.30pm when I called upstairs asking what they wanted for tea, and in usual Lily fashion she just said ‘dunno’.

“I told them both to walk to the chippy and get themselves some food.

“It is so close to the house, I could’ve kept an eye on her and watched her from the upstairs window.”

Minutes later, Mel’s phone rang.

What followed was every parent’s worst nightmare.

Mel said: “It was just after 5pm that I got a call from [Lily’s friend’s] mum in a panic. She couldn’t even speak or manage to get her words out.

Police at the scene of the tragic incident on December 18th
(Image: MEN Media)

“I kept asking where Lily was and what had happened. A police officer came on the phone telling me to come down to Coleridge Road as soon as I could.

“I jumped in the car and just saw all the police as we came around the corner. There were so many people around and people holding up dressing gowns to hide what was happening.

“I got out of the car while it was still moving and just ran towards them and the police held me back.

“I was shouting and screaming ‘what the f*** has happened to my daughter?’.

“I just wanted to see her, but they wouldn’t let me. It was chaos.

“I just wanted to run to her.”

Mel saw her little girl put on a stretcher and lifted into the back of an ambulance.

“I saw a star shining over her in the sky and I prayed she was okay,” she said.

Lily Rose Morris
(Image: Mel Hudson)

Efforts to revive Lily at hospital were tragically unsuccessful.

“I was screaming and couldn’t stand up,” Mel added.

“I was begging the doctors to try CPR on her one more time, which he did, but nothing happened.

“She had already gone.”

Lily’s death shook the community of Sholver. Many people witnessed the incident and tried desperately to help.

Just four days after the incident, hundreds of people remembered the youngster at a vigil.

Efforts to raise money for her funeral were organised by Shane Yerrell. Some £8,000 was pledged to help lay Lily to rest on December 30.

Mel says she is desperate for answers.

Greater Manchester Police said on December 19 – the day after the incident – officers arrested a man, 42, on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and ‘driving under the influence’.

He was later bailed pending further investigations, the force confirmed.

Hundreds turned out to remember the youngster at a vigil four days after her death
(Image: Manchester Evening News)

Mel – who also has a two-year-old son, Toby – says she ‘would not be here’ if it wasn’t for her supportive friends.

“Lily has been laid to rest but it still doesn’t feel like we have any closure,” she told the M.E.N.

“If I didn’t have the people around me that I do and my son, who is my world, I wouldn’t be here.

“I just want answers.”

Mel said she remembers Lily as a ‘one in a million’ child.

She was a ‘funny character’ with ‘crazy hair’ who was ‘loved by absolutely everyone’, she added.

“She was always up to something. I would go mad at her for doing cartwheels on the way to school and getting covered in mud,” she said as she giggled.

“She really was just one in a million.

“The community came together and the response was just amazing and overwhelming. It really shows how the community supports one another in difficult times.

Mum Mel with son Toby, 2, and Shane Yerrell (left) who raised more than £8,000 to pay for Lily’s send off

“I still don’t think it has hit me. I wake up in the morning still expecting her to be next to me in bed.

“Toby keeps asking where she is, and I have told him she is an angel now with Grandma.”

Greater Manchester Police said forensic samples have been sent off for analysis and that the investigation is ongoing, with multiple lines of enquiry being followed.

Chief Superintendent Mark Dexter, of GMP’s Specialist Operations Unit, said: “Firstly, our thoughts are with the family of Lily Rose Morris, who sadly died following a collision on Coleridge Road in Oldham on December 18.

“They are understandably devastated after losing their little girl and the pain they are going through is simply unimaginable.

“Officers from our Serious Collision Investigation Unit immediately launched an investigation following the collision and arrested a man at the scene and a number of lines of enquiry have been – and continue to be – carried out.

“We are doing everything we can to provide Lily’s family with the answers they need and they have a dedicated family liaison officer who is there for support whilst the investigation takes place.

“Forensic tests have been sent off for specialised analysis and the investigation is very much ongoing. We as police officers remain committed to finding those responsible of crimes in order to bring them to justice and will exhaust every line of enquiry possible to ensure this is done.”

Anyone with any information – including dashcam or CCTV footage from the area at the time of the incident – is urged to contact GMP’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit on 0161 856 4741 or via GMP’s LiveChat facility at www.gmp.police.uk quoting incident 2185 of 18/12/21. Alternatively, details can be passed on anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Manchester Evening News – Oldham