Engineer found dead under hospital lift he was working on, inquest told

An engineer was found dead under a lift while he was working at Royal Oldham Hospital, in inquest hearing has been told.

Sandy Noble, 33, from Scarborough, was found unresponsive by a colleague on February 22 and was pronounced dead at the scene, a pre-inquest hearing at Rochdale Coroners’ Court was told on Wednesday morning.

Police coroners’ officer Kathy Dixon outlined brief details about Mr Noble and the incident.

She said he lived at an address in Scarborough with his partner, a cleaner.

The engineer had been working on the lifts at Royal Oldham for the previous few weeks but was found unresponsive by a colleague under one of the lifts during the morning of February 22, the court heard.

Police at the scene at the Royal Oldham Hospital
(Image: Manchester Evening News)

He was declared dead at the scene and his body was identified by a police officer using Mr Noble’s driving licence.

The Health and Safety Executive and Greater Manchester Police were called to the scene.

Police concluded there were no suspicious circumstances, Ms Dixon told the court.

Assistant coroner Matthew Cox adjourned the hearing until May 24 when a date for a full inquest into the death will be considered.

The M.E.N. has previously reported Mr Noble leaves behind a young son, Jayden.

Sign up to the free MEN email newsletter

Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter

You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here

His loved ones have paid a heartfelt tributes to him.

Carley Holden, his partner, said he was completely loved by his family.

“Jayden completely idolised him. He will be forever in our hearts and in his son a piece of him will always live on,” she said.

He also leaves behind mother Carol Biggins, stepdad Michael Biggins, brother David Noble and ‘all of his loving aunties, uncles, nieces, nephews and friends’.

Mr Noble’s mum Carol paid tribute to her son with a poem.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene at the Royal Oldham Hospital
(Image: Manchester Evening News)

It read: “I closed my eyes for but a moment and suddenly a man stood where a boy used to be.

“I may not carry you in my arms, but I will always carry you in my heart.

“You have given me so many reasons to be proud of the man you have become, but the proudest moment for me is telling others that you are my son.

“Always and forever.”

An investigation led by Greater Manchester Police and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is underway.

David Jago, chief officer for The Royal Oldham Hospital, said at the time: “Officers from the fire service and Greater Manchester Police are currently on site at The Royal Oldham Hospital following a tragic accident this morning involving one of our lifts that an maintenance engineer contractor was working on.

“Sadly, we can confirm that the engineer suffered serious injuries and has sadly died.”

“Investigations are ongoing to understand the circumstances surrounding the accident and to ensure the area is safe,” Mr Jago added.

“This news has come as an awful shock to everyone who works at the hospital and our thoughts and condolences are with his family and colleagues.”

Manchester Evening News – Oldham