Dad attacked ex-wife’s boyfriend with a glass bowl and tried to gouge his eyes

A dad tried to gouge the eyes of his ex-wife’s boyfriend and smashed him over the head with a glass bowl during an unprovoked attack in front of his young daughter.

Mohammed Sidique was speaking to his four-year-old daughter on WhatsApp when he realised Zaheer Badat was at his ex-wife Amina Sidique house.

Shortly after the call ended Sidique, 29, sent a tirade of abusive message to his Mrs Sidique, calling her a “filthy bitch” and telling her to tell Mr Badat to “stay away from my daughter, he’s a son of a bitch” and “stay away paedophile”.

Sidique then appeared at her house and launched himself at Mr Badat, using a glass bowl as a weapon and his fingers to gouge his eyes.

Sidique has now been made the subject of a restraining order preventing contact with his ex-wife and her boyfriend.

Prosecutor Gavin Howie told Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court that Zaheer Badat was at his girlfriend Amina Sidique’s home on May 30 last year when her daughter received a phone call from Sidique at around 5pm.

“The child turned the phone and suggested that Mr Badat was there, soon after the phone call finished Amina began receiving abusive messages from the defendant,” Mr Howie said.

“He refers to Amina as a ‘filthy birch’ later corrected to ‘b****’, he then said ‘you stay away from my daughter’ ‘tell him to stay away from my daughter, he’s a son of a b****’, ‘pig’, ‘stay away paedophile’.

“Amina then blocked contact with him.”

Shortly afterwards, Mr Badat heard the back door open and saw Sidique standing in the kitchen shouting “you need to f*** off, get out of here”.

He began ‘charging’ at the victim and pushed him to the chest with both hands so he fell backwards onto the sofa, the court heard.

Amina tried to step between them, Mr Howie said.

Mr Badat then felt something hit the top of his head around five times and felt blood “streaming down his face”.

“He also saw a glass bowl in the hand of the defendant – the bowl was used as a weapon to inflict the injury,” Mr Howie told the court.

“The bowl was dropped, then the defendant used his fingers to gouge his eyes.”

Minshull Street Crown Court
(Image: MEN Media)

Mrs Sidique called 999 as she tried to usher her child away from the scene but the struggle continued for several minutes before Sidique grabbed his phone and left.

He was found in the area and arrested, telling police he had acted in self-defence and had been angry at the phone call with his daughter being cut off.

In a victim personal statement read to the court, Mr Badat said: “I am disgusted by the defendant’s behaviour, I have no respect for him and I refuse to let him control Amina.”

Mr Badat suffered three lacerations, 3-4cm in length, as well as bruises to the side of his face and a bruised middle finger during the incident. He needed treatment at Royal Oldham Hospital.

The court heard that Sidique and his ex-wife had been separated for four years and divorced for two years.

In a statement Mrs Sidique said they “keep things civil” for the sake of their child but said she was “shaken up, very upset and scared” after the attack.

Get our free M.E.N. Court newsletter

Manchester’s courts are some of the busiest in the country with a vast array of cases heard every week.

To keep up to date with how justice is being served across Greater Manchester subscribe to our free weekly M.E.N. Court News newsletter put together by our court reporters Andrew Bardsley and Amy Walker.

How do I sign up?

  1. First just click on this link to our newsletter sign-up centre.
  2. Once you’re there, put your email address where it says at the top, then tick the MEN Court News box. There are other newsletters available if you want them as well.
  3. When you’ve made your choice, hit Save Changes button at the bottom.

Sidique, of Copster Hill Road, Oldham, pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding.

Jonathan Turner, defending, said Sidique “expresses his remorse to Mr Badat”.

He had been due to visit his daughter that afternoon and was speaking to her when he realised Mr Badat was there.

Mr Turner said he had heard “numerous rumours” about the victim and that caused him to go to the address.

“It was his belief which led him to be concerned,” the barrister said. “It was the defendant’s belief in a rumour.

“There is no suggestion he is jealous of his wife’s new relationship or that he is trying to control her in any way.”

Mr Turner said a custodial sentence would impact his daughter and child maintenance fees.

The barrister said Mrs Sidique’s previous statement does not currently reflect her ongoing relationship with the defendant.

“My instructions are that the relationship is much improved and that they see each other weekly for family arrangements of the child,” he said.

As such the case was adjourned for two days to obtain a new statement from Mrs Sidique.

However she told a police officer she still wished for a restraining order to be put in place.

The court heard that Sidique does not have his ex-wife’s phone number and child access is arranged when she calls him.

Recorder Eric Lamb sentenced Sidique to ten months imprisonment suspended for 18 months.

He was also ordered to carry out a 20-day rehabilitation activity requirement.

A five-year restraining order restricting contact with Mrs Sidique and Mr Badat was also imposed.

Manchester Evening News – Oldham